Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Skin Deep

Ever since I read about this website, I keep checking back over and over to see if, and how, I am unintentionally poisoning myself. It's shocking, but at least half of the products I use daily rank from 7-10 (high hazard) on their toxicity scoring system. I don't even buy cosmetics or products that are particularly potent or promise a drastic changes using prescription strength ingredients or anything. Just normal, regular-strength brand name deodorant, shampoo, lotion, etc.

The links my favorite products have to cancer, birth defects, and neurotoxicity (to name a few) make me want to switch over to less dangerous products, but almost without exception the lowest ranking products are the most expensive and hardest to find.

You generally have to get in the 3-6 (moderate hazard) range before any of the products are purchasable at a place like Target. I know and appreciate the fact that the information is out there and available for me to find online, but I wish there was A) some system of alerting the consumer of the dangers of products while they are in the store and B) more safe, affordable products available at places where most people shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment