Thursday, April 15, 2010

Uncomfortable Childhood Memories, Part 1


Orange You Glad You Didn't Say Banana

Although my childhood height and physique suggested I would be a great dancer, my coordination did not concur. Nevertheless, my parents enrolled me in jazz, tap, ballet (with private lessons!) and gymnastics classes over the course of several years. Based on the number and variety of classes, their theory must have been that the dance style I didn't completely suck at was just one genre away. "Perhaps hip hop," they must have said with palpable disappointment. When I was in 3rd grade (and, in the interest of full disclosure, Ist-12th grade as well) I was always cracking wise. My gymnastics teacher, let's call her Ms. Anderson, was teaching us the proper form for round offs and a girl in the class piped up, saying, "I remember learning that you should try to brush the imaginary cobwebs off the ceiling with your toes!" Without a moment's hesitation I said, "Who taught you round offs?! A BANANA?!" At this time the studio grew tense and quiet and the girl just squeaked out, "Actually, it was Ms. Anderson."

Image via Natalie Dee

2 comments:

  1. I learned handsprings from a zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom's response to reading this post was "Man, that was a really bad response, A.J... but in your defense a banana is sort of shaped like it's mid- round off."

    ReplyDelete